Life begins at 50, they say. Some people only begin a proper skin care routine, for instance, when they hit their fifties. One morning, we look in the mirror and realize that the days of falling into bed with our makeup on are over. For those of us who were a little neglectful during our carefree teens and twenties, and stressful thirties and forties, now is the time to make amends. Because, suddenly, we are at the mid-century mark. Menopause is fully upon us or looms straight ahead. As the estrogen begins to diminish, so does the skin’s resilience, but a routine that’s tailored for our age can go a long way to making up for lost time.
Our Skin At 50
“This is the decade that your skin really starts to lose its elasticity,” says Alana Henrikson, Eminence Organics Product Support Representative. “Your skin barrier function becomes weakened.” Almost overnight, your skin can drastically change, which means your skin care routine has to, too. What kind of changes are we talking about? Here’s a rundown:
- Age spots
- Ultra-dryness and dehydration
- Sensitivity and irritation
- Large pores
The sun damage you got away with in your earlier years is taking its revenge in the form of age spots and wrinkles. Collagen production is dipping: In the first five years of menopause, your skin produces only 30% of what it did before. This reduces elasticity and brings on wrinkles. Jowls sag and large pores appear as gravity does its thing. Changing hormone and pH levels weaken skin even further, compromising its moisture barrier, especially around the eyes, lips and neck where the skin is thinner. Inflammation makes your skin more sensitive and irritable. And to add insult to injury, acne sometimes makes a return, a by-product of hormonal imbalance. It’s a long laundry list of dermatological grievances, but this is where an age-customized daily skin care routine can make a real difference.
Best Skin Care Routine for Your 50s
Get into a skin care routine that deals with your age concerns head on. Every effective 50-something routine should feature these steps:
- Cleanse - First, wash your face with tepid instead of hot water, which strips your skin of much-needed oil. And don’t use soap; instead, try a mild multi-action cleanser that hydrates and firms. If you are plagued with acne, use a cleanser with salicylic acid that unclogs pores but doesn’t dry out your skin.
- Tone - Replenish your skin with ingredients that restore the appearance of tautness and elasticity.
- Exfoliate - Exfoliating is tricky with older skin. Removing dead skin cells restores glow and reduces signs of aging but collagen slowdown means your skin is thinner now and more vulnerable. So go easy on the exfoliation with something gentle yet effective like our Firm Skin Acai Exfoliating Peel. And rely more on estheticians to get the job done.
- Mask - A weekly at-home mask, like our Bamboo Age Corrective Masque, harnesses plant-based stem cells to make your skin look supple and rejuvenated.
- Treat - One of the biggest problems with older skin comes from hormonal changes. Collagen loss due to menopause leads to drooping, visible lines, bigger pores and pouches under the eyes. Serums with phytoestrogen ingredients leave skin younger-looking. So do treatments containing retinol or peptides that penetrate into the skin’s lower layers, boosting collagen production.
- Moisturize - Where do we begin? There is a panoply of moisturizers to address specific problems. To combat the appearance of sagging skin, for instance, use moisturizers with natural retinol alternatives derived from plant sources for their lifting and tightening action. Oils are essential now too: Choose a moisturizer that’s rich with oils like coconut oil, shea butter and grapeseed oil. And lastly, round out your moisturizing strategy with creams with hyaluronic acid that help plump the skin.
- Eye Care - If you’re starting to see the first signs of crow’s eyes, upgrade your skin routine with lots of eye cream. Hydrate the fragile area around the eyes with shea butter and oils to return moisture to the skin.
- Sun Care - Protect your skin from age spots and thinning with sunscreen – rain or shine, morning, noon and night. Sun care products with, at least, 30 SPF are your best ally.
These basics are the start of your new skin care life: Embrace them! And supplement your routine with regular facial treatments at your nearest Eminence Organics partner spa. Experts can target your new needs and make sure you’re giving your skin exactly what it needs. What changes are you spotting in your skin? Let us know in the comments below or share with us on social media.