They say that forties are the new thirties - except when it comes to your skin care. It’s true that this decade brings more of the same changes that hit your skin 10 years ago - collagen loss, slowing cell turnover and dehydration. In your forties, however, you start to see more visible changes - especially in the structure of your skin. Here’s a rundown on what’s happening to your skin and the best skin care routine for your forties.
What Happens To Your Skin In Your 40s
Collagen and elastin are important proteins that provide structure to your skin, keeping it firm, plump and youthful looking. Our body naturally produces collagen when we’re young but once we reach our forties, collagen production declines to such low levels, it makes a visible difference to your skin. Eminence Organics Product Support Representative Alana Henrikson explains that with less collagen in your forties, “this is the time when lines start to appear around your mouth.” With the loss of the structural support provided by important proteins, the skin begins to sag, and lines and wrinkles become more apparent.
Not only does the skin lose its elasticity, the subcutaneous fat under the skin melts away as we get older. Without the padding that keeps the cheeks high and plump, the skin tends to droop, and jowls make their first appearance. Keeping the skin firm and tight becomes priority number one during this decade.
As the years pass, you’ll notice your complexion becoming more dull. Starting in the thirties, cell turnover starts to slow down. Dead skin cells are shed less frequently, and fresh new skin cells are sluggish to reach the surface. The end result? A complexion that’s more dull than dazzling.
Not only does the skin surrender its natural radiance and elasticity, it also becomes dry. Continuing the process that started in your thirties, the skin produces less sebum, the oily waxy substance that moisturizes and protects the skin. With less of the body’s natural oils coating the skin, the complexion loses moisture easily, becoming both dry and dehydrated. Fine lines become more obvious, leaving the skin with more visible signs of aging.
Ingredients For Skin Care In Your 40s
To combat the acceleration in the appearance of aging during this decade, you’ll want to focus on specific skin care ingredients for your forties. Here are our top picks:
Plant peptides are some of the most powerful ingredients to target the look of aging. A type of molecule that makes up proteins, a peptide can signal the body to create more collagen - a very useful function when your skin is rapidly losing this structural protein during this time of life.
Natural Retinol Alternative
Like conventional retinol, botanically-sourced retinol provides similar benefits in reducing the visible signs of aging. Extracted from plants like chicory root and tara tree, Natural Retinol Alternative removes dead skin cells, tightens pores, smooths the skin, minimizes the look of lines and even fades the appearance of dark spots. This catchall complex produces the same ageless results as retinol, without the occasional side effects of the conventional version.
The most popular type of alpha hydroxy acid, glycolic acid, is usually derived from sugar cane. It effectively exfoliates the skin, increasing cell turnover rate by breaking down the bonds between pore-clogging particles. It also smooths out the look of wrinkles, fades the appearance of dark spots and even prevents problem skin.
Botanical Hyaluronic Acid
When your skin is feeling parched, botanical hyaluronic acid is the thirst-quenching ingredient that it’s looking for. Deeply hydrating, botanical hyaluronic acid replenishes the skin with moisture, smoothing out the skin and minimizing the look of fine lines.
Best Skin Care Routine For Your 40s
Using the most potent ingredients that nature provides, here’s the skin care routine we suggest to tackle the issues of middle-aged skin straight on, with perfect solutions for those in their 40s:
- Cleanse - Choose a cleanser that not only removes impurities but firms the skin. Look for botanical hyaluronic acid, which not only hydrates, but also leaves the skin looking plump with fewer visible lines and wrinkles.
- Toner - Complete the cleansing process with a toner that includes a Natural Retinol Alternative. Formulated with this natural ingredient that mimics the effectiveness of retinol without the side effects, a toner with a Natural Retinol Alternative fights the visible signs of aging, appearing to lift and tighten the skin.
- Exfoliate - Lift away dead skin cells with an exfoliant like the Firm Skin Acai Exfoliating Peel. Formulated with glycolic acid - the magic ingredient for the forties age group - this type of exfoliating peel revitalizes mature skin. Glycolic acid, as well as lactic acid, rejuvenates, balances and smooths away the look of wrinkles.
- Treat - Check the ingredients list for a serum that contains botanical peptides. This skin care essential gives a boost to mature skin types, helping the skin look more elastic with fewer visible signs of aging.
- Moisturize - A high-quality moisturizer is another vehicle for delivering botanical peptides to the skin. Double the impact with a peptide-packed moisturizer and reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles. During the day, switch to or layer on an SPF moisturizer as well. A moisturizer with both UVA and UVB protection shields your skin from the aging, damaging effects of the sun.
- Mask - Improve hydration and improve the appearance of elasticity with a mask to restore that youthful glow.
- Night cream & mask - To combat the dryness of mature skin, invest in a good night cream. Since skin repairs itself while you sleep, a night cream works wonders while you catch 40 winks. Look for a night cream with additional oils, especially jojoba and grape seed oils. You can also add an overnight mask for ultimate hydration.
- Eye cream - Don’t forget the part of your face with the most delicate skin by applying an eye cream. Choose an eye cream that hydrates the eye area with hyaluronic acid and botanical peptides for bright eyes that look revitalized.
Find out more about recommended products to build into your forties skin care routine at the nearest Eminence Organics Spa Partner. Which key ingredient are you already using for your mature skin care routine? Let us know in the comments or on social media.
Not in your 40s? Find skin care information for your age group:
- Skin Care Routine For Your 20s
- Skin Care Routine For Your 30s
- Skin Care Routine For Your 50s
- Skin Care Routine In Your 60s And Beyond
This article was originally written in December 2019.