Ready to start a vegan skin care routine but unsure where to begin? As more people adopt a plant-based lifestyle, vegan beauty products are on the rise. We’re proud to provide a variety of vegan skin care products that are natural, organic and 100% cruelty-free. Here’s our guide to incorporating vegan skin care into your daily routine.
What Makes A Skin Care Product Vegan?
Our Lead Skin Care Trainer, Natalie Pergar, explains that vegan skin means no animal by-products exist in the products. Adapting your skin care routine to fit your lifestyle doesn’t have to be a difficult switch. And whether you’re vegan in your diet is only one factor in your interest in vegan skin care products. You might want to decrease the consumption of animal products, for example. Anyone can use vegan skin care products, which is why at Eminence Organics, we have a vegan option for every step in your skin care routine.
Not only do Eminence Organics create products that are vegan, but we're also committed to remaining a 100% cruelty-free brand. We are certified Cruelty Free by Beauty Without Bunnies and we proudly refuse to conduct, commission, pay for, or allow tests on animals for our ingredients, formulations or products.
For the vegan skin care routine below, you can be sure that each of these products is cruelty-free and formulated without parabens, animal by-products, synthetic dyes or petrochemicals.
Start off with a clean slate. Wash your face with a vegan cleanser morning and night even if you’re not wearing makeup. A thorough cleanse not only removes pore-clogging oil and impurities but also preps your skin to better absorb the benefits of the skin care products that follow. Use lukewarm water gentlly; rubbing vigorously can cause irritation.
- Normal Skin: Mangosteen Daily Resurfacing Cleanser
- Sensitive Skin: Calm Skin Chamomile Cleanser
- Dry Skin: Coconut Milk Cleanser
- Combination Skin: Stone Crop Cleansing Oil
- Oily/Acne-Prone Skin: Acne Advanced Cleansing Foam
- Aging Skin: Firm Skin Acai Cleanser
Follow up with a vegan-friendly toner. Toners complete the cleansing process by removing lingering impurities and replenishing the skin with necessary moisture. Natalie calls it the “conditioner” to your cleanse. Using the right toner in your day and night skin care routine will balance your complexion and prep your skin for the rest of your routine.
- Normal Skin: Hawthorn Tonique
- Sensitive and/or Dry Skin: Stone Crop Hydrating Mist
- Combination Skin: Mangosteen Revitalizing Mist
- Oily/Acne-Prone Skin: Lime Refresh Tonique
- Aging Skin: Neroli Age Corrective Hydrating Mist
3. Mask (Optional)
If you like, you can apply a vegan face mask once or twice a week. Face masks contain high amounts of concentrated vitamins and nutrient-rich ingredients which make the skin appear healthy, youthful and resilient to environmental pollutants. In addition to hydrating and moisturizing skin, masks can be used to tackle skin concerns like acne and the visible signs of aging.
- Normal Skin: Lime Stimulating Masque
- Dry/Sensitive Skin: Yellow Sweet Clover Anti-Redness Masque
- Combination/Oily/Acne-Prone Skin: Acne Advanced Clarifying Masque
- Aging Skin: Firm Skin Acai Masque
4. Serum, Concentrate Or Facial Oil
Your daily routine should also include a serum, concentrate or facial oil. These hydrating products contain concentrated amounts of active ingredients to target your specific skin concerns and conditions. They also assist in neutralizing the visible effects of drying or environmental stressors. You can use one at a time or layer multiple oils and serums in order of product texture consistency, lightest to richest.
Keep your skin soft, supple and protected with an organic vegan moisturizer. This skin care step not only smooths rough and dry skin but also provides support for the skin’s natural lipid barrier. A healthy moisture barrier is essential for all skin types, helping your skin retain hydration and repel damaging and drying irritants. You can choose to apply your daily moisturizer both morning and night or opt for a richer night cream in the evening for overnight treatment.
- Normal Skin: Arctic Berry Peptide Radiance Cream
- Sensitive Skin: Calm Skin Chamomile Moisturizer
- Dry Skin: Apricot Calendula Nourishing Cream
- Combination Skin: Echinacea Recovery Cream and/or Apricot Whip Moisturizer
- Oily/Acne-Prone Skin: Acne Advanced Clarifying Hydrator
- Aging Skin: Coconut Age Corrective Moisturizer
Watch the following video to find out more from Natalie about how to start your vegan skin care routine:
This article was originally written by Alisha Whitley in 2018.