The Benefits Of Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
If your Clients are coming to you exhausted and burned out, you may want to suggest a rejuvenating Himalayan salt stone massage. This type of massage can induce relaxation, release stress and help a Client refocus on self care. Keep reading to learn all about the rejuvenating benefits of a Himalayan salt stone massage and why you may want to add it to your list of treatments.
What Is A Himalayan Salt Stone Massage? | Benefits | Product Picks | Who Should Avoid It | How To Perform A Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
What Is A Himalayan Salt Stone Massage?
Himalayan salt is an iron oxide-based rock salt sourced from the Himalayan Mountains, which stretch from Afghanistan to Bhutan in South Asia. It is famous for its stand-out pink color and rich mineral content, including high levels of magnesium, calcium and potassium.
In skin care, Himalayan salts are used as exfoliating scrubs during facials to buff the complexion and during body treatments to smooth skin all over the body while improving circulation and providing relaxation. They are also used to perform a Himalayan salt stone massage. Estheticians use heated salt stones and place them on various points across the body such as on the legs, back and feet. They glide the salt stones over the body to heat the muscles, increase blood flow and release tension. The esthetician can customize the massage using different techniques such as trigger point therapy, Swedish massage or deep tissue massage.
Benefits Of Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
One major benefit of this massage is an improvement in the skin’s appearance. The mineral content in Himalayan salt provides exfoliation and improves circulation, leaving the Clients’ skin looking smooth and soft.
As this massage utilizes heated salt stones, Himalayan salt can also work as an anti-inflammatory tool.
According to Eminence Organics Product Support Representative Natasha Cannone, “Himalayan salts have been said to relieve pain such as muscle weakness, headaches, joint pain and fatigue.” The heat from the stones relieves tension and knots in the muscles and eases stress in the body, making it a useful treatment for those who suffer from pain or discomfort.
As a result of relieving pain and tension from the body, Clients may notice a positive effect on their emotional well-being. The warm stones coupled with a relaxed body free from discomfort tend to leave the Client feeling calmer and less stressed. Some theories suggest that negative ions generated in Himalayan salt contribute to the sense of peace and deep relaxation that people experience. Many salts found in natural environments such as mountains, oceans and waterfalls contain negative ions. However, the scientific evidence around the specific impacts of the negative ions in this salt is limited.
What Skin Care Products To Use In A Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
For a Himalayan salt stone massage, our Apricot Body Oil is an excellent choice for the treatment as it easily absorbs and helps the stone glide across the skin. Its main ingredient, apricot kernel oil, is rich in essential fatty acids and Vitamins A and E that provide moisturization and leave the skin looking hydrated.
You can also provide a luxurious and pampering experience with our Stone Crop Body Oil. This oil is made with stone crop, a succulent plant, as well as sweet almond oil, sunflower oil and jojoba oil to provide further hydration to the skin.
Stone Crop Body Oil
Apricot Body Oil
Who Should Avoid Getting Himalayan Salt Stone Massage?
Himalayan salt massages are not recommended for those with:
- Severe skin conditions
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
These massages, however, are fine for sensitive skin types. Even though they provide exfoliation, these salt stones feel smooth and non-abrasive, so you can still use them on Clients with sensitive skin.
How To Perform A Himalayan Salt Stone Massage
- Begin by preparing the room. Create a relaxing atmosphere by setting the temperature to a comfortable level and dimming the lights. Ask the Client to undress and lie down on the table, face up. Only the area of the body you will be working on should be left exposed; otherwise, cover them with a sheet or towel.
- With a salt stone in each hand, massage the body from the feet up. Focus on sore and tense areas by applying firm but gentle pressure. Massage the legs with long, gliding strokes, and the feet and toes with circular motions.
- Massage the arms, legs and torso with long, gliding strokes, especially with regard to the back and shoulders. The salt crystals will aid in boosting circulation and facilitating muscle tension.
- Gently massage the skin with the stones, paying special attention to rough spots like the knees and elbows. The salt will help exfoliate dead skin cells and leave the skin looking glowing.
- At the completion of the massage, offer the Client with a glass of water to hydrate the skin and body. The Client can have a shower to rinse off the left-over salt. To prolong the feeling of calm and renewal from the massage, encourage them to rest for a while before showering and getting dressed.
Have you incorporated this treatment into your spa? Share your experiences with us in the comments below and join the conversation on social media. You can also find out how to become an Eminence Organics Spa Partner here.