Dermaplane Facial: The Secret To Baby-soft Skin
Dermaplaning seems to be everywhere right now. From celebrities to influencers, it seems that more and more people are turning to this trend to achieve a deeper level of exfoliation. So what is dermaplaning anyway? And is a dermaplane facial the right choice for everyone? Read on for everything you’ve wanted to know about this treatment and how the estheticians at an Eminence Organics partner spa might provide a dermaplane facial.
What is Dermaplaning?
As we’ve discussed before, a chemical exfoliant uses naturally occurring enzymes and acids to remove dead skin cells while a physical exfoliant uses granules to slough off dead skin cells. Dermaplaning is a method of physical exfoliation, but as Truth In Aging points out, instead of using granules, a sterile, surgical scalpel is used to gently "shave" the skin's surface, removing the top-most layer of dead skin along with fine, vellus hair (a.k.a peach fuzz). This procedure leaves the skin even more silky smooth than other exfoliation techniques due to the hair removal process.
What Are the Benefits of A Dermaplane Facial?
To learn more, we went right to the experts, asking Eminence Organics Product Support Representative and Certified Esthetician Josie Barton about the benefits of dermaplaning. Josie explains:
“Dermaplaning assists the skin with a deeper absorption of the products applied after the technique is complete, helping soothe, heal and hydrate dry skin. The skin will be left smooth, clear and naturally radiant!”
Josie also notes that a dermaplane facial:
- Is a safe procedure for removing dead skin cells
- Eliminates soft facial hair that traps dirt and oils
- Promotes smoother skin
- Reduces the appearance of acne scars
- Diminishes the look of fine lines
- Works on most skin types
Who Shouldn’t Get A Dermaplane Facial?
A dermaplane facial is suitable for most skin types, but if you have deep cystic acne or sensitive skin, you may want to sit this treatment out. As noted by Charlotte’s Book, if you have acne, wait until breakouts are clear. For sensitive skin, note that 21 days’ worth of dead skin cells will be removed, so skin will be more sensitive post-treatment. As this treatment requires use of a sterile surgical blade, please do not attempt dermaplaning at home as you can easily cause micro-tears and infection in your skin. This treatment should only be performed by a licensed esthetician in a professional setting.
What Does The Esthetician Use In A Dermaplane Facial?
When looking for a dermaplane facial, please call ahead to your closest Eminence Organics partner spa to confirm that they offer this treatment. As noted by Josie:
“Dermaplaning requires some pre and post skin care that could easily be incorporated to create a full 60 minute dermaplane facial. Dermaplaning on its own can take about 45 minutes.”
Your Eminence Organics spa esthetician could offer a full dermaplane facial treatment similar to the following:
- Rice Milk 3 in 1 Cleansing Water: An initial first step to remove surface impurities, makeup and also tone the skin
- Dermaplaning: For physical exfoliation and hair removal
- Calm Skin Chamomile Exfoliating Peel: For further dissolution of dead skin cells and to balance the look of skin
- Yellow Sweet Clover Anti-Redness Masque: To address the appearance of red or irritated dry skin
- Stone Crop Serum: An intense hydrator to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age spots
- Cucumber Eye Gel: To reduce the appearance of darkness, fine lines and puffiness in the eye area
- Stone Crop Hydrating Gel: Finishes the facial with instant, deep-penetrating moisture to leave skin with a smooth matte finish.
The number one thing to remember after a dermaplane facial is that your skin will be much more sensitive to the sun and other environmental factors. While this is true of any facial, this is especially important after a dermaplane facial as a deeper level of exfoliation has occurred. Ensure you are using SPF protection on your face immediately after the procedure and reapply often to keep your skin radiant and healthy.