Here Are Organic Alternatives To Plastic Microbead Body Scrubs
We’re kicking off the new year with more countries banning plastic microbeads in body scrubs, and we at Eminence Organics say: It’s about time. With both Canada and the United Kingdom following the United States and putting an end to microbeads in many cosmetics and personal care products from January 1, here’s why the microbeads ban is important.
HARMFUL MICROBEADS IN OCEAN WATER
1. Microbeads are eaten by marine life
Microbeads are tiny bits of plastic used in personal care products, including body scrubs. Because they are small spheres, they are mistaken for food by marine life, eaten by fish and enter the aquatic food chain (Forbes).
2. Microbeads absorb harmful chemicals
Floating through rivers, lakes and oceans, these small pieces of plastic absorb even more toxic chemicals including pesticides, flame retardants and PCBs (Elle UK).
3. Wastewater treatment can’t filter out microbeads
Because the pieces of plastic are so small, wastewater treatment plants are not able to filter out microbeads. Without these safeguards, microbeads freely pollute bodies of water worldwide.
HOW TO PREVENT MICROBEAD POLLUTION FROM BODY SCRUBS
Here’s what you can personally do to support the microbead ban and stop pollution:
1. Check whether your exfoliating body products contain plastic microbeads by examining whether they include the following ingredients: polyethylene, polypropylene, polyethylene terephthalate, polymethyl methacrylate, polylactic acid, or nylon.
2. Send your products with plastic microbeads to 5Gyres Institute, a research and education group that studies plastic garbage and accepts microbead personal care products.
3. Choose Eminence Organics sugar scrubs instead - all-natural body scrubs that exfoliate using organically grown sugar cane crystals. Eminence Organics Sugar Scrubs in new and improved packaging are available in three types, including Cranberry Pomegranate Sugar Scrub, Blueberry Soy Sugar Scrub and Coconut Sugar Scrub, winner of Best Sugar Scrub in the Dermascope Aestheticians’ Choice Awards 2016. Cranberry Pomegranate Sugar Scrub is a vitamin-rich exfoliant that buffs your skin to perfection. A rich body scrub, Blueberry Soy Sugar Scrub leaves your skin feeling fresh and smooth. Enriched with virgin coconut oil, Coconut Sugar Scrub exfoliates and hydrates deeply.
Are you ready for the switch away from plastic microbeads? Explore the natural alternative of Eminence Organics sugar scrubs at your nearest authorized Eminence spa. Which sugar scrub is your favorite? Let us know in the comments or join the conversation on social media on Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | G+.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: