Yoga has long been celebrated for its mind and body benefits, including its ability to help turn back the clock. If you hit the mat regularly to keep your mind relaxed and body trim, it’s time to turn your attention to an additional area: your face.
Enter, the face yoga method. Through a series of facial exercises, face yoga promises to relax and tone your facial muscles. These repetitive movements lift and firm the skin, giving the appearance of a non-surgical facelift. Sold? Here’s how to incorporate face yoga into your skin care routine.
How Face Yoga Works
Face yoga expert Danielle Collins tells Marie Claire that by working the lower, middle and upper layers of the epidermis, repeated facial exercises increase blood circulation. This invites more oxygen into the skin to reveal a healthy, glowing and youthful looking complexion. Along with reducing tension and stimulating circulation, face yoga techniques also boost collagen and elastin production for plumper and firmer looking skin.
How Often To Do Face Yoga
For optimal results, Danielle recommends practicing face yoga for 20 minutes, six times a week. In terms of results, she says: “As a general rule you will start to see more of a long term improvement in your face and neck after two weeks. After 2-4 months, you will notice you have less fine lines and less tension and people will notice you look healthier and more energized. Within 6-9 months people have reported that they look and feel many years younger and feel more relaxed within themselves” (Marie Claire).
Face Yoga Exercises
Eyes: Crow’s Feet & Drooping Eyelids
1. Using your fingers, gently apply pressure to the inner and outer corners of the eyebrows.
2. Look to the ceiling and raise your lower eyelids to squint, then relax.
3. Repeat six times.
4. Squeeze eyes tightly shut for ten seconds to complete the exercise.
Jaw: Smile Lines And sagging Skin
1. Place your palms on your temples and push your hands up and back to lift the sides of your face.
2. Open your mouth into an “O” shape and hold for five seconds.
3. Repeat twice.
Forehead: Horizontal Wrinkles
1. Place both of your hands on your forehead, facing inward.
2. Spread your fingers out between your eyebrows and hairline.
3. Gently sweep your fingers up and back, applying light pressure.
4. Relax and repeat 10 times.
Neck: Loose And Sagging Skin
1. Look straight ahead and cross your hands at the bottom of your neck.
2. Using your fingertips, gently stroke your skin downwards with your head tilted back.
3. Bring your head back down to your chest.
4. Repeat twice.
Is face yoga part of your anti aging skin care routine? We’d love to find out! Tell us about your experience in the comments below and join the conversation on social media.