Healthy, glowing skin means giving your body the best nature has to offer. That includes eating plenty of organic fruits and veggies as well as feeding your skin with products that are chock-full of natural and organic ingredients.
How else can you flush the toxins this fall? Getting a good night’s sleep, sweating it out and drinking plenty of water are just a few more ways that you can detox naturally. Add to that list our favorite go-to for detoxification: a simple smoothie. With inspiration from the fall harvest, this Autumn Detox Smoothie incorporates fresh fruits and veggies of the season that are packed full of antioxidants, nutrients and plenty of detoxification properties.
Below are a selection of key smoothie ingredients that can help you cleanse and detox the natural way:
Beets (a.k.a beetroot) - Not only are they rich in fiber (and color), beets are also a potent source of vitamin A, manganese and nitrates. This purple veggie works hard to purify your blood stream and deeply cleanse your liver (Veg Kitchen).
Pears - As one of the highest-fiber fruits, 1 pear meets your daily requirement of 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day. This fruit cleanses your colon, prevents belly bloat and keeps your digestive tract in check (PopSugar).
Apples - High in vitamins A and C, calcium and fiber, apples help clear the digestive track and expel toxins from your system (Best Health).
Spinach - When it comes to detox, leafy greens are your friend. Greens like spinach boost chlorophyll levels in the digestive tract which helps rid your body of toxins (PopSugar).
Ginger - In addition to its liver cleansing properties, ginger has approximately 40 antioxidant properties that fight free radicals and provide anti-aging benefits.
- 1 medium beet
- 1 cup of organic baby spinach
- 1 pear
- ½ red apple (we used an organic Red Gala apple)
- ½ green apple (we used an organic Granny Smith apple)
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves (chopped)
- ½ ripe banana
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp of honey (or to taste if you prefer a sweeter tasting smoothie)
- ⅓ cup of water (coconut water or coconut milk optional)
- 5 ice cubes
- Chop beets, pear, and apples into small cube sized pieces.
- Grate ginger and chop mint into smaller pieces.
- Place all ingredients in blender, with the exception of the beets.
- Bring water to a boil on the stovetop and add beets. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove beets from boiling water and add to blender with other ingredients.
- Squeeze lime juice into the blender on top of the ingrdients.
- Add honey, water (or coconut water/milk) and ice cubes to the mixture and blend on high until all ingredients are combined.
- Option 1: Pour into glass and serve.
- Option 2: If you prefer a cold smoothie, we suggest pouring the mixture into ice cube trays and freeze for several hours. Once frozen, put cubes back in the blender, add approximately ¼ cup of water and blend on high until smooth.
What are your favorite smoothie ingredients? Tell us in the comments below.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: