Senior Product Development Manager
Location: West Broadway and Cambie, Vancouver, Canada at Eminence’s Central Office
Work Hours: Monday – Friday from 8am – 4:30pm
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Senior Product Development Manager in the subject line of the email.
*Update on Friday, March 27th, 2020: Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, Eminence is taking necessary measures to support our Team-members, our Customers and our Communities.
Thank you for your patience during these unprecedented times.
Competitive Salary, Bonuses, Extended Health Benefits, Wellness Program, Product Discounts and Green Transportation Incentives
Eminence Organic Skin Care provides premium products and unparalleled service to leading salons, spas and beauty professionals. Pioneer of the organic skin care movement, Eminence Organics combines more than half a century of herbal craftsmanship and innovation with Hungarian-inspired healing to offer results-oriented treatments. All of our products use only the freshest ingredients known to nature without harming animals or using any harsh chemicals - we pick only premium quality ingredients to craft natural, organic and Biodynamic® skin care that is good for the earth and good for the skin. Every ounce of our products receives personal attention throughout production and packaging.
Eminence Organics cares about the environment and integrates sustainable practices into every part of our business including planting a tree for every product that we sell through our Forests For The Future initiative.
Eminence Organic Skin Care is the leading name in the field of Organic Skin Care. Eminence Organics is renowned as the most unique and effective line of natural skin care products on the market today.
For more than 10 years in a row, skin care professionals have voted Eminence Organic Skin Care their Favorite Skin Care Line and their favorite company for Product Education. Eminence is considered #1 for skin care results in the natural and organic spa industry and has been awarded hundreds of accolades by the industry’s most trusted sources including our recent ‘Best of Beauty’ award from Allure.
Eminence Organics has also won multiple Environmental Awards and is a Certified B Corporation®, recognizing the sustainable farming & green practices we use to create our products as well as recognizing the progressive people practices we exemplify in supporting our team-members.
Since the arrival of Eminence Organics in North America, our business has experienced tremendous growth in every major market in North America and has created distribution channels in over 60 countries.
Currently with over 300 team-members worldwide and with thousands of dedicated and loyal spa and salon business partners, Eminence Organics has products which touch millions of faces and bodies across North America and throughout the world each year. Our charitable initiatives, including the Eminence Kids Foundation, impact thousands of lives each year.
Our Core Values
Extraordinary Service, Infectious Enthusiasm, Sincere Respect, Supportive Teamplay, Proactive Reliability, Passionate Dedication
The Senior Product Development Manager is responsible for managing and leading product initiatives that strengthen and enrich the Eminence brand and grow our Customers’ businesses. This includes leading a team to develop, launch and promote products that demonstrate Eminence’s commitment to innovative, results-oriented organic skin care. The Senior Product Development Manager also collaborates with the Product Development team and cross-functional leadership to evaluate product lifecycle and product strategy for a portfolio of approximately 200 unique products.
Reporting and Peer Relationships
Reporting directly to the Director of Product & Education, the Senior Product Development Manager leads and motivates a team of Product Development Managers responsible for driving new product development, product redevelopment and product promotion. The Senior Product Development Manager works closely with the entire Product Development team along with the Customer Education, Marketing, Sales and Supply Chain teams to ensure that all product development and management efforts support Eminence’s overall strategy and goals. The Senior Product Development Manager also works closely with and builds new relationships with outside vendors, including third-party formulators, manufacturers and co-packers.
Roles and Responsibilities
Product Management and Lifecycle
- Conduct market research and competitive analysis to inform product development and management strategies
- Identify and recommend opportunities to further define, manage and grow Eminence product divisions
- Work with the Product Development team and cross-functional leadership to define product launch and promotion strategies in a rolling 24-month development calendar
- Collaborate on the annual analysis, review and recommendation of products for discontinuation
- Recommend products for feature in digital and print promotion
- Set product costing and pricing for new products and recommend price adjustments as needed to ensure ongoing product profitability
Product Development and Launch
- Develop the core positioning for new and redeveloped products in collaboration with the Product Development Managers, ensuring products fit cohesively into the Eminence product portfolio
- Oversee the product development process from concept to implementation, providing guidance and ensuring finished goods are consistent with predefined positioning and quality standards
- Formulation development: evaluate formula submissions for aesthetic properties and cosmetic benefits, and ensure proper scale up from lab to production
- Packaging development: ensure primary and secondary packaging functionality, compatibility and user experience standards are met
- Review and approve the Product Scope, Project Plan and Critical Path for all product development projects and launches
- Ensure that all presentations of each product launch are consistent with the core positioning and strategy as outlined in the Project Scope
- Manage the Product Development team in ensuring all project deadlines are met
- Act as the escalation point to resolve any issues to launch delivery and timing that arise throughout the launch process
- Build relationships with vendors including formulation partners, contract manufacturers, packaging suppliers, and ingredients suppliers to support product development
- Work with the Product Development team to prioritize and assign non-launch related tasks and projects, including special product requests; drive special projects as required
- Oversee the selection and development of products for use in Eminence Sales programs and special promotions
- Manage any planned or unforeseen changes to existing products which can include packaging, formulation, manufacturing as needed - defining strategies in each instance to minimize the impact to both Eminence and to our Customers’ businesses
- Act as an escalation point for advanced product knowledge questions; review and sign off on responses as needed
Product Testing, Quality Assurance and Regulatory
- Oversee formula and packaging testing for new and existing products, including safety substantiation testing, clinical studies, stability testing and functionality testing
- Act as the escalation point for product quality issues; work with Product Development, Supply Chain and Order Services to identify and problem solve product quality issues as needed
- Work with the Product Development team to ensure all products are registered with the necessary regulatory bodies (including FDA and Health Canada) in time for sell date
- Collaborate with the Product Regulatory Specialist to identify opportunities to streamline regulatory processes and ensure global compliance for new and existing products
Human Resources, Leadership and Management
- Prioritize and lead Product Development projects and programs to meet established deadlines and goals
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve Product Development processes
- Provide regular status launch and project updates to the Director of Product & Education
- Track quarterly and annual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and bonus reporting for the Product Development team
- Supervise the workload of, and coach/train, direct reports, team members and contractors
- Prepare and conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports
- Provide clear and consistent direction; discuss performance issues promptly with direct reports and supportively manage the performance improvement process
- Identify and facilitate growth opportunities for team-members
Planning and Meetings
- Drive the weekly Product Development Meeting
- Drive the quarterly Product Planning Meeting to gain approval on launch and promotion concepts
- Hold a weekly 1-1 meeting with the Director of Product & Education
- Hold a weekly 1-1 meeting with each direct report
- Attend Quarterly Company-Wide Conference Calls and present product related content when required
- Attend and assist with the Eminence Annual Business Conference and present when required
- Chair, attend and assist other meetings as required
- Create, maintain and circulate meeting agendas, notes and action items for above meetings
- Travel to tradeshows and other industry events as required
- 5+ years of experience with consumer packaged goods development and management (concept through rationalization), ideally in the Spa and/or Health & Beauty channel
- 5+ years of team leadership and management experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Business and/or Marketing preferred
- Project Management experience preferred, including demonstrated ability to prioritize, scope and oversee projects from beginning to end
- Experience analyzing data on product performance and profitability, and using data to make recommendations on project feasibility and ROI
- Demonstrated experience working with numbers, metrics and processing data in spreadsheets
- Experience working with external vendors and cross-functional team members from: Marketing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Sales, and Accounting
- Experience writing project brief and product positioning documents preferred
- Quality assurance experience and working knowledge of quality best practices preferred
- Vendor management experience preferred
- Sales or Customer Service experience an asset
- Marketing and branding experience an asset
- Presentation and public speaking experience an asset
- Exceptional written/oral communication and project management skills
- Highly developed and demonstrated leadership ability and interpersonal skills
- Solid work ethic with desire to contribute to achieving team goals and company revenue targets
- Ability to lead in a fast paced, changing environment with shifting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to prioritize projects to meet the needs of the business
- Exceptional attention to detail, highly organized, and effective at time management
- Effective problem solving and decision-making skills
- Highly entrepreneurial, innovative and creative
- Proactive with a demonstrated ability to drive process improvement
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and discretion and to handle confidential information
- Computer skills (especially MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, intermediate to advanced Excel)
Please include the following with your application:
- Cover letter
We offer a wide range of career opportunities and we are always interested in meeting enthusiastic, reliable and service-oriented team players. Share this opportunity on: