Product Formulation Manager
Location: West Broadway and Cambie, Vancouver, Canada at Eminence’s Central Office
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday from 8am – 4:30pm
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Product Formulation Manager in the subject line of the email.
Closing Date for Applications: Sunday, October 25th, 2020 at 9pm PST
Competitive Salary, Bonuses, Extended Health Benefits, Wellness Program, Product Discounts and Green Transportation Incentives
Eminence Organic Skin Care provides premium products and unparalleled service to leading salons, spas and beauty professionals. Pioneer of the organic skin care movement, Eminence Organics combines more than half a century of herbal craftsmanship and innovation with Hungarian-inspired healing to offer results-oriented treatments. All of our products use only the freshest ingredients known to nature without harming animals or using any harsh chemicals - we pick only premium quality ingredients to craft natural, organic and Biodynamic® skin care that is good for the earth and good for the skin. Every ounce of our products receives personal attention throughout production and packaging.
Eminence Organics cares about the environment and integrates sustainable practices into every part of our business including planting a tree for every product that we sell through our Forests For The Future initiative.
Eminence Organic Skin Care is the leading name in the field of Organic Skin Care. Eminence Organics is renowned as the most unique and effective line of natural skin care products on the market today.
For more than 10 years in a row, skin care professionals have voted Eminence Organic Skin Care their Favorite Skin Care Line and their favorite company for Product Education. Eminence is considered #1 for skin care results in the natural and organic spa industry and has been awarded hundreds of accolades by the industry’s most trusted sources including our recent ‘Best of Beauty’ award from Allure.
Eminence Organics has also won multiple Environmental Awards and is a Certified B Corporation®, recognizing the sustainable farming & green practices we use to create our products as well as recognizing the progressive people practices we exemplify in supporting our team-members.
Since the arrival of Eminence Organics in North America, our business has experienced tremendous growth in every major market in North America and has created distribution channels in over 60 countries.
Currently with over 300 team-members worldwide and with thousands of dedicated and loyal spa and salon business partners, Eminence Organics has products which touch millions of faces and bodies across North America and throughout the world each year. Our charitable initiatives, including the Eminence Kids Foundation, impact thousands of lives each year.
Our Core Values
Extraordinary Service, Infectious Enthusiasm, Sincere Respect, Supportive Teamplay, Proactive Reliability, Passionate Dedication
The Product Formulation Manager is responsible for developing and managing the product formulations for Eminence’s diverse portfolio of cosmetics products, professional-use products, and over-the-counter (OTC) drug products. This position will identify formulation specifications and active ingredients to meet product concepts, manage formulation vendor relationships and submissions, conduct appropriate testing and quality checks to ensure all products meet or exceed Eminence’s quality standards, and stay current on cutting-edge ingredients and actives to deliver innovative, results oriented organic skin care. The Product Formulation Manager will lead distinct formula-driven projects and will provide input (as a contributor) into other launch and non-launch projects.
Reporting and Peer Relationships
The Product Formulation Manager reports to the Senior Product Development Manager and works closely with the entire Product Development Team as well as Customer Education, Marketing and Supply Chain to define, develop and deliver formulations for launch and non-launch projects. The Product Formulation Manager also works closely with and builds new relationships with outside vendors including third-party formulators, manufacturers, and testing labs.
Roles and Responsibilities
New Product Research & Development
- Research formulation trends (e.g. ingredients, actives, delivery systems, aesthetics) to support the Product Development Managers in generating leading-edge products that deliver on Eminence’s commitment to organic and results oriented skin care
- Define and document formulation specifications with input from the Product Development Managers; ensure consistency with specifications from development through production
- Work with Product Development Managers to define target cost of formulation and manage formulation submissions
- Collaborate with the Product Regulatory Specialist to proactively identify formulation-related regulatory requirements and ensure compliance throughout the product launch and lifecycle
- Manage and foster relationships with formulation partners and manufacturers; identify the most appropriate vendor for each project based on their expertise, capabilities and capacity
Product Positioning & Education
- Contribute to the Project Scope for every product launch, outlining formulation and claims details to support alignment on cross-functional deliverables
- Partner with the Customer Education team to provide detailed technical product information for the creation of education materials
- Distill technical formulation and ingredient information, clearly and concisely providing the appropriate level of detail to meet the needs of different audiences
- Contribute to a Frequently Asked Questions document for each product launch
- Field and respond to escalated product knowledge questions as needed
Planning & Project Management
- Collaborate on the creation of the Critical Path and manage formulation milestones, ensuring that proper planning has been completed
- Drive and fully manage distinct formulation-driven projects: lead Critical Path development, identify deliverables, and manage cross-functional teams to ensure goals are met
- Ensure throughout each project that product formulation deadlines are met and delivered on-time
- Proactively identify risks to formulation delivery and timing and escalate as needed
- Seek opportunities to evolve the formulation process to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Attend and present at stakeholder meetings as needed to share formulation related decisions and data, facilitate projects, and address any formulation challenges that arise
Product Testing & Quality Assurance
- Ensure that product quality meets or exceeds Eminence standards
- Work with Product Development Managers to gain user insights on products and identify opportunities for refining formulation as needed
- Collaborate with Packaging Manager to ensure that formulation is compatible with selected componentry and meet quality standards and provide an extraordinary consumer experience
- Manage product testing including stability, preservative efficacy, microbiology, safety substantiation, and claims substantiation (e.g. SPF testing, efficacy studies); track testing dates and ensure completion in time for launch
- Be first point of contact for evaluating formulation and product samples to ensure they meet specifications; conduct inspections of product to ensure it meets quality standards on an on-going basis
- 3+ years of experience in Product Research & Development managing formulation projects
- Degree in Chemistry, Personal Care Science, or related discipline
- Personal Care, Beauty, or CPG experience preferred
- Knowledge of skin care formulations, claims standards, and quality testing methodologies
- Project Management experience, including demonstrated ability to prioritize, scope and oversee projects from beginning to end
- Experience in costing analysis
- Experience working with external vendors and cross-functional team-members from: Marketing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing
- Vendor management experience preferred
- Leadership experience preferred
- Self-starter with effective problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Highly proactive, forward-thinking, and innovative
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to develop and maintain strong relationships
- Solid work ethic with desire to contribute to achieving team goals and company revenue targets
- Ability to manage priorities and act with quick decision-making skills
- Superior organization skills
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Extraordinary time management
- Unquenchable curiosity and commitment to continuous learning
- Ability to work under limited supervision
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and discretion and to handle confidential information
- Computer skills (especially MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, intermediate Excel)
Please include the following with your application:
- Cover letter
We offer a wide range of career opportunities and we are always interested in meeting enthusiastic, reliable and service-oriented team players. Share this opportunity on: