Product Development Manager
Location: West Broadway and Cambie, Vancouver, Canada at Eminence’s Central Office
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday from 8am – 4:30pm
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Product Development Manager in the subject line of the email.
*Update on Monday, September 14th, 2020: screening & interviews are in process, however, applications submitted immediately are still welcomed.
Competitive Salary, Bonuses, Extended Health Benefits, Wellness Program, Product Discounts and Green Transportation Incentives
Eminence Organic Skin Care provides premium products and unparalleled service to leading salons, spas and beauty professionals. Pioneer of the organic skin care movement, Eminence Organics combines more than half a century of herbal craftsmanship and innovation with Hungarian-inspired healing to offer results-oriented treatments. All of our products use only the freshest ingredients known to nature without harming animals or using any harsh chemicals - we pick only premium quality ingredients to craft natural, organic and Biodynamic® skin care that is good for the earth and good for the skin. Every ounce of our products receives personal attention throughout production and packaging.
Eminence Organics cares about the environment and integrates sustainable practices into every part of our business including planting a tree for every product that we sell through our Forests For The Future initiative.
Eminence Organic Skin Care is the leading name in the field of Organic Skin Care. Eminence Organics is renowned as the most unique and effective line of natural skin care products on the market today.
For more than 10 years in a row, skin care professionals have voted Eminence Organic Skin Care their Favorite Skin Care Line and their favorite company for Product Education. Eminence is considered #1 for skin care results in the natural and organic spa industry and has been awarded hundreds of accolades by the industry’s most trusted sources including our recent ‘Best of Beauty’ award from Allure.
Eminence Organics has also won multiple Environmental Awards and is a Certified B Corporation®, recognizing the sustainable farming & green practices we use to create our products as well as recognizing the progressive people practices we exemplify in supporting our team-members.
Since the arrival of Eminence Organics in North America, our business has experienced tremendous growth in every major market in North America and has created distribution channels in over 60 countries.
Currently with over 300 team-members worldwide and with thousands of dedicated and loyal spa and salon business partners, Eminence Organics has products which touch millions of faces and bodies across North America and throughout the world each year. Our charitable initiatives, including the Eminence Kids Foundation, impact thousands of lives each year.
Our Core Values
Extraordinary Service, Infectious Enthusiasm, Sincere Respect, Supportive Teamplay, Proactive Reliability, Passionate Dedication
The Product Development Manager is responsible for driving the development of products which strengthen and enrich the Eminence brand and grow our Spa Partners’ businesses. This includes researching and generating new product ideas that demonstrate Eminence’s commitment to innovative, results-oriented organic skin care, managing all phases of the product research and development process, and acting as the Product Development Team’s key point of contact regarding newly developed products from concept through launch. The Product Development Manager also collaborates with the Senior Product Development Manager, the Director of Product & Education and Eminence’s senior leaders to evaluate product lifecycle and strategy.
Reporting and Peer Relationships
The Product Development Manager (PDM) reports directly to the Senior Product Development Manager and provides leadership to the Product Development Coordinator responsible for supporting new product launches. The Product Development Manager works closely with the entire Product Development Team, Customer Education, Marketing, Sales and Supply Chain to define, develop and deliver new products in time for launch. The PDM also works closely with and builds new relationships with outside vendors including third-party formulators, manufacturers and co-packers.
Roles and Responsibilities
New Product Conceptualization, Research & Development
- Research market trends and innovations to generate leading-edge product concepts that deliver on Eminence’s commitment to organic and results oriented skin care
- Analyze, summarize and present market research to make informed recommendations on product strategy, positioning and pricing
- Collaborate with the Director of Product & Education and the Senior Product Development Manager to define how products fit cohesively into Eminence product lines, product mix and product lifecycles
- Define and document formulation and packaging specifications with input from the Product Development team and the Creative Director for Product & Launch; ensure consistency with specifications from development through production
- Research ingredients (including active ingredients) as required to develop product concept
- Define target cost of goods, recommend retail and wholesale pricing and estimate revenue forecasts for new products
- Identify and work with vendors (including formulators, contract manufacturers, co-packers and packaging suppliers) on product development, managing all phases of the development process including: product specification, costing, sample evaluation, production and filling methods, and formula and packaging approval
- Drive Product Planning Meeting discussions with cross-functional leadership to conceive and scope product and launch concepts within a 24+ month product development plan
Product Positioning & Education
- Create a Project Scope for every product launch outlining launch details and product positioning to support alignment on cross-functional deliverables
- Drive the Product Development go-to-market strategy for product launches
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing teams to recommend strategies to incentivize buy-in to product launches
- Partner with the Customer Education team to define the education strategy for product launches; provide technical product information for the creation of education materials
- Collaborate with the Marketing team in the creation and review of content for product packaging including internal componentry and retail boxes
- Review product-related marketing and training materials, providing sign-off for accuracy, alignment with the Project Scope and regulatory compliance
- Create and maintain a Frequently Asked Questions document for each product launch
- Field and respond to escalated product knowledge questions as needed
- Create and present product-related content to the organization when required, including at Quarterly Company-Wide Conference Calls, Daily Kick-Off Meetings and the Eminence Annual Business Conference
Planning & Project Management
- Collaborate on the creation of the Critical Path and manage the Project Plan and SKU list for product development projects ensuring that proper planning has been completed
- Ensure throughout the project that product development deadlines are met and product launches are delivered on-time
- Proactively identify risks to launch delivery and timing and escalate as needed
- Partner with Supply Chain, Sales and Marketing to set unit forecasts and buy-in targets for product launches and promotions
- Chair, attend and assist meetings as required, including with members of the executive and senior leadership teams; create, maintain and circulate meeting agendas, notes and action items for meetings
- Continually seek opportunities to evolve the launch process to improve efficiency and effectiveness
Product Testing, Quality Assurance & Regulatory
- Ensure that product quality meets or exceeds Eminence standards
- Manage focus groups and internal testing of development samples (through final formulation) to ensure consistency with predefined product specifications and to identify opportunities for refining formulation and packaging as needed
- Test and ensure all packaging sourced meets quality standards and expectations
- Manage translation of all ingredient lists using INCI nomenclature
- Manage the creation of SDS sheets and allergen lists for all new products
- Initiate clinical studies (including, but not limited to, efficacy testing and safety substantiation testing) as required; manage the completion of clinical studies and reporting in time for use in product launch
- Ensure that new products are filed with regulatory government bodies (including FDA, Health Canada and the EU) in time for sell date
Human Resources, Leadership & Management
- Supervise the daily workload of and coach/train direct reports, Team-members and contractors
- Track quarterly and annual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and resulting bonus reporting for direct reports
- Prepare and conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports
- Give clear, consistent direction to direction reports; discuss performance issues promptly with Team-members and supportively manage the performance improvement process
- Experience with consumer package goods development (concept through launch), ideally in the Spa and/or Health & Beauty channel (3+ years)
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Business and/or Marketing preferred
- Project Management experience, including demonstrated ability to prioritize, scope and oversee projects from beginning to end (2+ years)
- Sourcing, purchasing and negotiation experience (2+ years)
- Business skills related to feasibility studies, market research, ROI and forecasting (2+ years)
- Demonstrated experience working with numbers, metrics and processing data in spreadsheets
- Experience working with external vendors and cross-functional Team-members from: Marketing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Sales and Accounting (2+ years)
- Experience writing project brief and product positioning documents
- Team leadership and management experience (2+ years)
- Quality Assurance experience and working knowledge of quality best practices preferred
- Vendor management experience preferred
- Sales or Customer service experience an asset
- Marketing and branding experience an asset
- Presentation and public speaking experience an asset
- Exceptional written/oral communication and project management skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability and interpersonal skills
- Solid work ethic with desire to contribute to achieving team goals and company revenue targets
- Ability to operate and lead in a fast paced, changing environment with shifting priorities and deadlines
- Exceptional attention to detail, highly organized, and effective at time management
- Effective problem solving and decision-making skills
- Highly entrepreneurial, innovative and creative
- Proactive with a demonstrated ability to drive process improvement
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and discretion and to handle confidential information
- Computer skills (especially MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, intermediate to advanced Excel)
Please include the following with your application:
- Cover letter
We offer a wide range of career opportunities and we are always interested in meeting enthusiastic, reliable and service-oriented team players. Share this opportunity on: